Annuity.com has a very useful overview on the financial side of the crisis (annuities aside). Topics include: Global Economy, Federal Benefits, Economic Impact Payment, Taxes, Unemployment, Health Care, Mortgages and Housing, Small Businesses, Retirement Plans, Credit and Loans
Apply for Social Assistance
SNAP -- Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (AKA Food Stamps)
WIC -- Extra "food stamps" assistance for Women, Infants, and Children
TANF -- Also known as CalWORKS, this is a joint state and federal program for low income families. Cash payments.
LIHEAP -- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program for utility bills. Helps reduce your utility rates.
Disability -- If you are limited by an injury or condition, you may be able to get disability payments. Even if you aren't planning to take it forever, this might help you through.
Meals On Wheels -- Sierra Senior Providers, Inc. at the Senior Center, 40 Greenley Rd, Sonora, CA 95370 (209) 533-2622 or Area 12 Area Agency on Aging at 19074 Standard Road; Suite A, Sonora, CA 95370 (209) 532-6272
Check out locally created TuCo Who What Where for a directory of local businesses open and how to access them. Thanks Margott!
Below are a list of open community resources and what they have to offer. You can read the image here or click it to be linked to the site. Updated 04/07/2020.
Thanks to the Echo Adventure Co-Op for organizing this grocery delivery program! It is $25/hour for grocery deliveries and they time it for you. Safe, no-contact delivery.
OuterAisle is also a local business offering FRESH produce deliveries to your home for $40 a week.
- An organic fresh seasonal box of produce bi-weekly (every other week), year-round, and in 3 different sizes
- On-line Farmigo software handles: vacation settings, secure payments options, subscription changes, and web store ordering
- Personal shopper option ($5 fee)
- Convenient drop off points in Calaveras, Tuolumne, Alpine and Amador counties
- Home delivery service to homes on our route ($10 per house/$5 per neighborhood)
Triple thanks to Echo Adventure Co-Op for assembling these resources. Please go check out their site as well!
Bobby L. Huffstetter has offered to pick up and deliver grocery and/or pharmacy orders for anyone in Tuolumne County (except on unpaved roads)
(209) 213-8291. Thanks Bobby!
Keeping the Digital Lights on
Phone and internet companies have a strong response to COVID-19 and many have signed up to the Keep Americans Connected pledge which has basic tenets such as no disconnections, free access to WiFi, and more. Here are what some of them are doing:
- Comcast - free access to WiFi hotspots for 60 days, unlimited data for customers, no late charges or disconnections, 60 days of free basic internet for all new customers
- AT&T - suspended disconnections and late fees, free access to public WiFi hotspots, and unlimited data for customers
- Verizon - waived late fees and suspended disconnections, free international calling to CDC level 3 countries, free activations and upgrades for a limited time
- Charter Communications - suspend disconnections and waived late fees
- T-Mobile - free international calling, unlimited data, free hotspots, suspended disconnections
- Sprint - free international calling to CDC level 3 countries, suspend disconnections, unlimited data and free hotspots
- Atlantic Broadband - suspended disconnections and waived late fees
The Administration for Community Living (ACL) has TONS of informational resources for seniors and their caregivers, anything from older seniors with HIV preparedness to distance learning programs to American Sign Language resources for COVID-19.
Reduce Student Loan Payments
Interest on federally held student loans will be waived for 60 days. In addition, borrowers can choose to waive payments for at least two months to allow themselves greater flexibility. US Department of Education Secretary DeVos issued the announcement on March 20th.
Borrowers who are already past due get forbearance automatically while others will need to request it specifically. You can contact the federal loan servicer directly below:
FedLoan Servicing (PHEAA): 1-800-699-2908
Granite State — GSMR: 1-888-556-0022
Great Lakes Educational Loan Services, Inc.: 1-800-236-4300
OSLA Servicing: 1-866-264-9762
However, some borrowers may want to continue making payments. Those seeking Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) or those enrolled in a repayment plan with a manageable monthly payment may be better off continuing to make their normal payments.